Earl Sterndale primary school required a modular built dining hall and activity room with a new traditionally built link block including stairs and disabled access lift. The dining hall was of a 1940’s HORSA structure laced with asbestos and needed demolishing and replacing, along with 2 existing external stores.
To address the school’s needs, the project included the erection of a ‘4 bay modular unit’, set on the site of the old dining hall, to form the dining and kitchen areas, along with a natural stone built storage facility. Further works included the construction of a traditionally built link block, incorporating an informal teaching space, platform lift, staff toilet and separate kitchen access.
To minimise any adverse visual effects, the dining hall unit was lowered considerably into the ground and given a living sedum roof. This would also provide internal access between the current school house and dining hall, which before was only available via outside routes. Emphasis was put on maintaining the features of the existing school and so materials such as limestone and locally sourced natural stone, including that recycled on site were used in the construction works.